Orlando L. Blanco has been an attorney and litigator for 35 years, during which he has tried cases involving a wide array of liability issues including: Civil Rights liability, Governmental Liability Claims, Products Liability, Premises Liability, Automobile Negligence (both First and Third Party), Professional and Medical Malpractice, Hospice Liability, Rental Car Liability, Paramedic and EMT Liability, Semi Tractor/Trailer Liability, Insurance Claims disputes, Property Losses and Wrongful Death cases.
Prior to opening his own private practice in 1996, Mr. Blanco served as a Senior Litigation Attorney with CIGNA Insurance Company’s Field Litigation Office in Detroit Michigan where he defended a number of insurance defense claims.
Mr. Blanco is regarded as a national authority in the area of Risk Management, particularly in the EMS field, having published and presented numerous works on the subject and having successfully defended EMS providers in dozens of states in the United States.
Highlights of Mr. Blanco’s expertise and contributions in the EMS field include the following:
- Legal representative and consultant to the Michigan Association of Ambulance Services (MAAS). Consulted on various legal and risk management issues and has presented various lectures to MAAS membership.
- Legal counsel for Mobile Health Resources (MHR), a network of Michigan ambulance companies providing medical transportation and billing services on a statewide basis.
- Legal representative and consultant for the Michigan Society of EMS Instructor Coordinators (SEMSIC). Mr. Blanco was the Keynote Speaker at several SEMSIC annual conferences and has lectured on various EMS-Legal topics.
- American Medical Response (AMR) Regional Counsel for Southeast Region, providing oversight and supervision of liability claims (2001-2007).
- Legal representative and consultant for National Society of Trauma Nurses.
- Member and consultant for the American Ambulance Association (Insurance Committee).
- Legal representative and consultant to several Michigan Medical Control Authorities.
- Legal lecturer and presenter—Michigan EMS Expo, 1996-2015.
- Published and produced various articles, publications and video presentations, including: “State by State Analysis of EMS Liability Issues and Laws”, (AAA Publications 2004); “Documentation Pitfalls- A Teaching Tool for EMS Providers” DVD (2005); “Patient Care Refusals” DVD (2008).
- Guest lecturer and presenter on legal issues at various EMS forums including AAA Annual Conference, Michigan EMS EXPO, MAAS, SEMSIC and individual ambulance providers and insurers.
Mr. Blanco earned a BBA from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in 1979, and a JD from Wayne State University in 1982 where he was the recipient of the 1981 Senator Carl Levin Award for Top Grade in the Field of Urban Housing and Community Development and where he served as President of the International Law Society.
Mr. Blanco is a member of the Michigan Bar (1982) and Florida Bar (1984) and is admitted to practice in several Federal District Courts, including the Eastern and Western District Courts of Michigan, Northern District of Illinois, Southern District of Texas, Southern District of Florida, the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
In March of 2014, Mr. Blanco was recognized as one of Michigan’s Leaders in the Law 2014. Mr. Blanco has an AV Preeminent Peer Review from Martindale Hubbell.